- People in the older generation need a brand to help decision making to find a good product. In the previous era, the communication source is one
tomany communication or mass media, they have no forum or peer group that give them information and review. So they laid to most reputable and famous producer or brand. The reputable brand keeps their reputation and gives a good guarantee.
- Millenial generation does not depend on good reputation brand to find good products. They can read the customer review and their group and forum review. They more believe in their friend than advertising. The forum already has a role as the previous brand. Instead of using a brand that socially created, they use digital forum or group.
- Internet and computer reduce many business processes. It enables a company to find good outsource. It also reduces marketing cost. So competition so high. So many companies that disrupt older old style business model. So millennials prefer to choose a better offer. The old brand is not necessary. The new company often offer very good offer.
- Millenial often faces new wonderful ideas and new products. So, they also open to new products.
- Millenial has a growing nerd. A nerd is an enthusiastic group that opens to innovation. They have a forum about their enthusiasm. They like to try new products. They also like to share their ideas, so their follower often to adopt their ideas.
- Millenials aware that so many inventions that improve their hobby or work. So good brand products often obsolete because there better invention that more efficient and more effective. So they open to new products than loyal to the old brand.
- They get information about products is not from the brand ambassador, but from their groups. That includes the negative comment about a brand. So they can lose their loyalty.
Big businesses have extraordinary offers or value proposition. The offer is tempting to consumers, and competition is difficult to imitate. You are also difficult to imitate. But by studying various kinds of offers from big businesses, hopefully, you can find and make offers that are also extraordinary, useful and difficult to imitate competitors.
1. Body Shop
It is brand proposition of body shop: Embed social activism in business. The company has a great name because it associates with social activism. They are not the first social activism. Although she copied the brand name and the idea of recycled packaging from a U.S. company in 1976 and had only accidentally practiced social activism 10 years later, Roddick introduced the idea of creating stories behind cosmetic products.
Microsoft is not the first GUI operating system. But they realize ubiquitous computing. Although not an early pioneer, Gates has introduced operating systems into the mainstream since 1975 and arguably made software an essential part of computing by taking advantage of the network effect.
It is the unusual offer of Apple: Transform how people enjoy technology. They transformed the computing, music, and phone industries by introducing the Mac (1984), iPod (2001), and iPhone (2007) with cool counterculture approach; also reinvented animation pictures with Pixar (2006).
IKEA have original brand mission : Make stylish furniture affordable
They create affordable price and smart furniture. They produce it by creating mass foldable furniture and distribute it in self-service retail shop. It reduces production cost and retailer shop. For customer, it gives affordable price and self-service experiential stores (in the 1960s) and smart.
5. Virgin Group Richard Branson
Founded by Sir Richard Branson, Virgin have brand mission: Bring excitement to boring industries. They will give business with risky and diverse ventures under the single brand name since 1970, Virgin Group; They applied unconventional 400 business practices company-wide. our core consumer sectors of Travel & Leisure, Telecoms & Media, Music & Entertainment, Financial Services and Health & Wellness. They recently attempted to create commercial spacecraft with Virgin Galactic (2004).
6. Walt Disney
Almost all children in the world like Walt Disney. Their brand proposition is Create magical world for families. That proposition energize and inspire the company to create great things. They created successful animated characters and brought them into mainstream business with licensing and theme park experience.
7. Southwest Airlines
Although he got his ideas about the low-cost airline model and corporate culture from Pacific Southwest Airlines (established in 1949), Kelleher has brought low-cost airlines into the mainstream since 1971 and inspired worldwide adoption of the business model.
Connected sellers and buyers with eBay (1995), facilitated transaction and governance with user ratings and inclusion of PayPal as a subsidiary (2002) Ebay have motto: Create user-governed market space.
Since 1998, Google has been reinventing the search engine redefined online advertising people enjoy search engine-based advertising platform. Make the world’s information organized and accessible
Since 2001, Wikipedia has been redefining the encyclopedia and popularizing the collaborative wiki approach developed by Ward Cunningham (1994)Create a publicly editable encyclopedia.
Facebook Although he did not invent social networking (Friendster was introduced first by Jonathan Abrams in 2002 and MySpaceby Chris DeWolfe and Tom Anderson in 2003; Facebook was introduced later in 2004), Zuckerberg expanded the idea by introducing Facebook Platform (2007) and Connect (2008)and expanded social networking to a wider presence
What unusual offer that Linkedin provide? Reid Hoffman creates Linkedin to connect professionals around the world. LinkedIn introduced online professional networking and new ways of organizing professional contact information; someone says it will soon replace the traditional resume for job search.
What Benefit that Twitter offer? Build by Jack Dorsey, Twitter provide the tools to track friends and other interests. Established in 2006, Twitter pioneered the idea of mini-blogs on the Internet and how people can broadcast their ideas to their network.
Since the early of civilization, human beings have known that business has an important role to reach wealth. Business gives what individuals and society need. Today, people learn business to get sustainable money. There is a lot of article and book about business, include my article about business development steps. So, it’s not easy to recognize what matters from the business.
Studying business from business history gives insight into what’s important in business. History shows something that always exists in the development of a business.
The important thing in the business is efficiency and sharing benefits competitively. Efficiency allows entrepreneurs to get profit from the business transaction. It also helps entrepreneur offer a good price.
how to do business efficiently?
The way to run it is by specialization, the scale of production, and create more fit between customer problem and company solution. So continuous market research is important to create the best-fit offer. Business tells the offer in copywriting format or advertising in several media channel.
Specializing for efficiency
Since barter trading, people know that business needs efficiency. At that time efficiency is achieved by specializing in production. Specialization and focus in creating a product encourage people to produce products quickly, cheap and good. Because he has put his time and energy into a field, he will find a better, faster and cheaper way to compete in a market.
Because specialization is efficient, the state tends to specialize in its core business areas. The city also has its own specialization. specializes, villages specialize. That specialization does not have to be a whole country or city only make one product, but there is a dominant product.
Adam Smith developed the idea of specialization for this efficiency by offering a division of labor. When within the company, there is a division of labor, with a smooth production flow, then productivity will good and growth occurs.
For efficiency too, Ford advised workers to be obedient without thinking, so that the conflict between the management team and the workers is minimized.
With the division of labor, the employees will handle the tasks easily and quickly mastered the production process.
Today, specialization is not only in production house but also they produce for specific market. Therefore, they do segmentation and choose specific market segment. By target for the specific market, the business can make attraction offer, because they program their products for the specific segment. To match
Large production scale for efficiency
Creating large quantities of products will reduce production costs per product. In addition, producers can also press profit margins, in the hope if the goods sold a lot, total profits are also many.
The production cost of a product has fix cost and variable cost. Whatever quantity of product that we made, fixed cost does not change, not multiply. And the variable cost increases when quantity also increases.
Machinery for Mass Production
Consequently, after a business has an orientation to mass production, they need technology, machine, teamwork, and market that they buy.
Humans are constantly looking for ways to enlarge the scale of production, using animal power, heavy machinery, and computers, aiming to increase mass production.
Teamwork for Mass Production
To manage large machine and large market, they then need a team and manage them. Therefore, business needs leadership and management discipline. Vision make the team more cohesive tea
- your company profile
- Segment market
- business model to serve your market and get profit
- team support
- marketing plan
- management and
- continues improvement.
Your Company Profile Today
- What is your company name
- Company Address
- Company mission and mission
- When your business start
- Business type: Franchise or you build your own
- Business type: retailer, producer, distributor?
- Industry type
- Market segment you serve
- products and services that you offer
- percentage of the end user and business customer
- structure organization
- the quantity of team company
- Top 5 Important things in your business
- your performance for your top 5 important things
- Do you apply bookkeeping and accounting?
- Your Profit Loss Financial Report in last 5 years
- Your Balance Sheet in last 5 years
- Cash flow statement
- aged debtors listing
- aged creditor listing
- sales analysis
- How often you update your financial status? daily, weekly, monthly, yearly
- Do you have the business plan or business model canvas
Your Private Goal in Your Business
- Your job, status, and role in the business
- Your salary: fixed salary and variable salary
- Your non-financial benefit in the business
- why you enjoy or like your business
- 3 thing most frustrated things in your business
- Time spend in the business
- time for production
- Time for team building
- Time for marketing
- time for administration
Market and Products
- Your Criteria to target customer segment
- Who is the best customer? What are your criteria
- customer segment that you target
- products and services categories do you have
- your competitor can and easy to imitate or not
- your sales per categories products and products per annum
- sales trend per categories products and products
- do you regularly hear customer feedback about products, service
- Why your customer buy (reason)? eg, quality, service, function, price.
- Why your prospect does not buy (reason)
- What is your value proposition
- Major customer disappoint about your business
- The quantity of Total customer
- Total customer retention
- Total customer repeat
- Do you have customer lifetime value
- Average how many
- How many Competitor that your customer can access
- How many businesses that offer replacement items
- Comparison of your business and competitor in term turnover, brand, capital, cost, profit, skills, service etc.
- Common competition basic in your industry
- Your competitive advantage
- Total income per annum
- Total expenditure per annum
- Gross Profit per annum
- Fixed Cost per annum
- Variable cost per annum
- cash flow statement
Entry and Exit Barrier
- startup capital
- skill to run the business (production, marketing, management)
- license to run business
- Attractiveness and main advantage of business
- Cost for exit barrier
- Difficulty to enter an alternative business
- Difficulty to get material, supplier and qualified people
- Customer Orientation level of team
- Trust and service culture
- Recruitment procedure and consideration
- The main difficulty to recruit
- Team Training
- Training and orientation for new employees
- regular training for old and new employees
- Written and clear job description
- Key Performance Indicator of team training
- Main training problem
- Performance target for each member or team
- The main indicator of the performance of each member, division, and team.
- How to measure their performance
- satisfaction level of the team member for their job and remuneration (salary)
- How business give remuneration
- How often to review remuneration
- The non-financial reward for good performance for the team member
- Profit share scheme and incentive for a team
- What is the area of team participation in management? product development, market development, strategic management, finance management.
- regular team meeting and team feedback channel